Sunday, September 24, 2006

Day 32- Wawa ON to Dryden ON (solo)

I had agood sleep and got up about 07:00 and packed up and headed out after breakfast and coffee. The weather was good and the traffic was light. The road from Wawa to Thunder Bay is a great motorcycling road with lots of hills and sharp curves. The traffic was light so I had a chance to try the bike out with a bit of speed ...The ride along the lake was very scenic and quite fast...I was in Thunder Bay in mid afternoon. I fueled up and had a coffee and continued on to Dryden. Somewhere near English river (out in the middle of nowhere) I pulled over to put my jacket on. As I was standing there another bike came around the corner towards me. The bike pulled over and the rider got off to see if I was OK. After I told him I had just stopped to get my jacket we had a roadside visit. His name was Len and he was from Edmonton. He had been on the road since July 23rd and he was on his way home too. We decided to run together and stop in Dryden for the night. We got underway but had only riden for about an hour when all west bound traffic came to a halt. We pulled up and waited for a while till a police car came by to tell us there had been an accident ahead involving a big truck and the road was closed to recover the wreck. We waited there for about two hours before we got going again. By that time there was traffic lined up as far as we could see. We visited with a couple of truckers who were parked on either side of us. One of the guys was with Deck-Ex and had driven for Mullen back in the early 80's when I was running "Spare Board" there. He knew most of the guys I knew from those days. We finally got going again about 21:00 but the traffic was bumper to bumper all the way to Dryden. We got there about 23:00. After a couple of trys we finally found a motel with a vacancy. Len and I shared a room and after having some supper we hit the rack. Tired again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home