Saturday, September 23, 2006

Day 31: Arnprior ON to Wawa ON (Solo)

I got up about 06:00 after having a good sleep and hit the road about 07:00 local time. The sun was up but the temp. reading on my bike was 34 degrees F. It was COLD! I rode northwest for about an hour and got to Pembrook where I stopped for breakfast and to warm up. By the time I was done that it was a lot warmer outside and the rest of the day went pretty well. I got to North Bay in the early afternoon. I stopped in Sturgeon Falls for fuel and a coffee at Tim's. While I was there I chatted with a couple who lived just west of Sturgeon Falls in Cache Bay. Dan and Jan were a very nice couple and Dan showed me the electric center stand he had designed and built for his Gold Wing. He is presently trying to market it.
After finishing my coffee and visit I saddled up and headed west again. My route took me along the shore of Lake Nipissing towards Sudbury. I took the By-pass around Sudbury and continued west on #17. Somewhere around Blind River the road was shut down to one lane alternating while some big cranes were at work doing a recovery of rail cars on the tracks next to the highway. I had a visit with an OPP officer who was there directing traffic. He was stationed at Thessalon which was near there. I have his card but I can't find it right now so I will add that later. I told him I was trying to get to Thunder Bay that night but he said that was too far and Wawa was probably a better place to stop so as to avoid the moose traffic. He was right.
I got to the "Soo" in late afternoon and headed north along the shore of Lake Superior. Shortly after stopping to take a picture of the sunset it started to rain and it continued off and on until I got to Wawa about 21:00. I had supper and got a room and went to bed pretty worn out. I had done 707 miles the day before and about 630 miles today...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home